19.9.11

Recycled CD craft - Box Tutorial

Recycled CD Box 
I am on a recycling spree and sharing a box made out of CDs. Its a pretty straightforward project but I am nevertheless sharing how I made it for the benefit of those who may not have seen this type of craft. I am a complete " first timer" at many of the crafty stuff I do and this is the main reason I share the tutorials so that anyone making it for the first time like me can benefit from my crafting mistakes and successes!
How to make a Box using CDs
Recycled CDs Craft
I am sure all of us will be having old unwanted CDs lying around the house.And we can never have enough boxes can we? Well especially crafters  need lots of boxes to store stuff right? You can make an easy square box with circular CD lid or if you are feeling more adventurous make a cylindrical box using your CDs.
Materials Required to make a Box using old CDs
CDs- 2
Thick Paper- use thick card stock or recycle a cereal box like I did here
Pretty Paper
White Glue
Recycled CD Craft
Cut some circles the same size as your CD from pretty paper- You need at least 2 to line the top of your CDs.
Cut 2 rectangular strips from your thick card - One wide strip will form the base of your box and one narrower strip which will form the lid- no rules about how wide- anything goes!
I cut the wider strip from the cereal box corner- I placed the cuts such that a narrow strip was on the other side of the box.Cut this narrow strip in a zig zag manner to get strips as shown in the picture. The narrower strip will form the lid and should be longer by about a centimeter.Not giving you any measurements as I worked off hand- If you want to be very exact use a cylindrical bottle or tin on the CD and wrap your card around it to decide on the length of your card strip.
Recycled CD Craft
If you are recycling some cardboard fold and glue some paper over your card strip.Here I wrapped and glued some pink paper over my cereal box strip.
Fold up the zigzag narrow strip
Stick the ends of your strip to get a cylinder.
Tip- if using a lining paper as I did here - you need not overlap you cardstock ends -just overlap the lining paper- this gives a smoother cylinder.Apply glue to the lower part of your folded zigzags as demonstrated my  little assistant.
Recycled CD Craft
Center and stick the zigzags onto your CD.Our cylinder is not a perfect. You can get a neater and better cylinder by being more careful while sticking your zig zags!
Recycled CD Craft
If you wish line the inner part of your CD box base using a circle of paper to hide the zigzags.
In the same fashion make the lid of your Cd box using the longer card strip.
Recycled CD Craft
I stuck some punched flowers between the CD and the patterned paper to give a pink border. You can use lace , ribbons , sequins, shells or whatever you fancy to add a lovely border. I added a handmade flower at the center and here is the tutorial link : Handmade Rose tutorial 
Recycled CD Craft
A flower without leaves looks so bare so hand cut some leaves, embossed it using a round tipped tool [ actually used in parchment craft]. You can use your mouse pad and a used ballpoint pen which has run out of ink].Just run the nib through the center of the leaf and sideways in a slanting manner to make veins.
Leaf Tutorial
Add some hand cut green paper swirls for the stems .
Recycled CD Box
Cut the leaf borders by making small slanting cut on one border
Leaf Tutorial
I found it easiest and fastest to turn over the leaf to cut the other side
Leaf Tutorial
This is the Handcut paper rose leaf.
Leaf Tutorial
I added a bit of glue and gloss to the leaves and flowers to get a glossy sheen-- not well captured in the photos but gives it a lovely "plastic" look! [ I was not generous enough in using the glue and gloss and hence got a lined look which I rather liked- If you want a smoother finish completely cover your leaves with the glue and gloss ]
Edited : Glue N Gloss is currently not available in the Indian Market- you can use Satin Mod Podge for the same effect [Read here : Mod Podge Tips]
Recycled CD Craft
Do tell me how you like this maiden attempt at a CD box- do forgive the imperfections!
Edited: This CD Box tutorial was featured on Mancave & Wonen Den

92 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and so pretty hugs maxine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting projekt!And it seems so tasty!I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very pretty box. It is just lovely. TFS

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your box is stunning! Love the colors, the flower, and the little pearl you have added around the edges:) Thank you for the wonderful tutorial on this great little container, and the leaves)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is brilliant....I really like how it has a flowerpot shape and what terrific leaves. Thanks for all your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! this box is so cute!!!! I also love the leaf tutorial.....I´ll share on my facebook group ok?
    Thanks for sharing
    hugs from Brazil and have a Happy Crafting Week!!!
    Rosana

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely, Dr. Sonia! We had plenty of them just siting around. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty box that is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, Sonia, I am amazed!!! I just can't believe all of the recycling that you do. What beautiful works of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial. Now i know what to do with my old CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very pretty, love the flower on top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful! I love how pretty this is and the Rose and Leaves look so real-what a beautiful project :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. awsome, very pretty, like the use of CD's and cereal box, thanks for sharing!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like the idea. Box looks so pretty. Like the way you cut the edges of the leaves.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://CreatedbySunshineHoneyBee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. very bright n love the rose !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely work, Sonia. The leaf feature is very nice. It will be interesting for the visitors who visit your home to see lots of good things making a wonderful crafty interior, all made by you and your little daughter :-)

    Could you please post the picture of the design punch or mail to me to my mail id in my profile? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sure Mira shall post it soon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely idea and you little on so helpful and so right too doctor to teach our kids to recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thats a really lovely box... Also I want to wish u a belated Happy Birthday.... Had not come online in the past two days so could not wish u earlier.... hope u had a grt day...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful box...love to see how you encourage your daughter to learn crafty things.Hope you had a fun filled birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sons - I liked the cute rose and the leaves. It is so charming.The punched edges looks attractive. all pinks today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i just love this recycled CD box its simply beautiful, loved the punched flower and those hand cut leaves so so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!! Gorgeous project!! Love the flower. Great job and TFS
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  26. I ahve done the same thing with scallop circle nesties.THis looks grt,love the flower!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. absolutely gorgeous leaves and flowers Sonia... and hope u had a great day yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love Love Love it..sweet colors plus nice tutu :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely box, wow those leaves look real, very pretty rose - thanks for the tutorial,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a great idea and so perfectly executed :)

    I had a similar one in mind but with different materials and then i got lazy :) Thanks for the inspiration will try it soon sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank You Jovi, Archana for the birthday wishes -- yes I had a fun birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so fabulous...I have most of the things lying around...but blame it on laziness to do anything about it..I'd rather toss it out...mabybe I shouldn't anymore!!
    Thanks for linking up my tutorial...For a super glossy finish, you need to apply a very thick layer and let it dry over night...patience needed not to touch it again and again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes Tejal dont toss out CDs they make sturdy boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am blown away! This is super fab and very creative - i catch myself saying that again and again at ur blog.. and thanks a LOT for the lovely tutorial :)

    Thanks a lot for playing along at Crafty JC Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I had this idea for long time.. now when I see, how beautiful it looks, i am wanting to try it.. feeling too lazy :(

    ReplyDelete
  36. Здорово!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful box, lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is awesome... love the background paper, the rose and the leaves are so very elegant.

    xxx Monica

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous19/9/11

    So lovely Sonia!
    Good idea on the leaves, I never thought to do that. Sure does make them stand out!
    hugs
    Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful tutorial and so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful project!!! I LOVE how you did the leaves!!!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Okie.. I seem to be missing out on your posts lately.. Damn blogger... This is fab.. I absolutely love the rose.. You have to put up a tutorial soon for that bloom.. Great idea once again... and great execution.. Thanks for playing along with CraftyJC once again Doc...!!

    Hugs,
    Khush

    P.S:- belated Happy Birthday...!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Super tutorial. Will certainly have a go at using up my old unwanted cd's. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the box Dr. Sonia! What a great idea to use something we all have around the house. I love the flower and of course pink is perfect. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  45. So, so gorgeous! Your leaves are so amazing. And, as always, I love the pic of your little helper :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Other than the fact that this is just an awesome piece of craft ..I also wish to ask you to put up a tutorial on how you manage to take such beautiful pics of your creations ?? the set up ? the camera ??
    I have been asking this from a lot of people .. :P
    P.S. 1. How was the birthday ??
    2. your daughter is just too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Amazing box, love your creativity! The tutorial is a fab idea, something I should have done in the past for a few of my projects and so worthwhile! The handmade flower is gorgeous too!
    Thanks for entering my Alter/Recycle challenge this week over at Allsorts and good luck!
    Love Nicola xxx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very fun! The leaves are my favorite part :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. its such a pretty box Sonia! Lovel pink flower on the top... gr8 job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Very pretty box. I love the pink rose. I saw your link on Make it Monday xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. what a great idea! I love the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a gorgeous project.
    Thank you so much for entering our challenge at ALLSORTS this week, good luck & hope you’ll join us again!
    Hugz Fleur xXx

    ReplyDelete
  53. Sonia, I am always amazed how neat your crafts look. box is really beautiful with lovely pink rose.

    ReplyDelete
  54. OMG your project is just GORGEOUS!SUPER SUPER job with all the AMAZING details and LOVE the pretty flower,FANTASTIC job as always!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I saw this on MIMs and what a great tutorial on how to make this lovely project! I love the leaves and the rose is a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is so very pretty I love it! This is something I can sit and make with my girls - thank you so very much for sharing. Hugs to you. Krafty Karen - Popping in from MIM to say Hi.xx

    ReplyDelete
  57. Lovely!
    It's always amazing to visit your blog. Creativity lives here.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Sonia, me again, I've just been over to MIM and saw your lovely box entered so thought I would come back and say good luck in the challenge,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  59. beautiful! love the neatness of the finished box :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a fantastic project! I lovew it!
    Hugs Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  61. thnx for a lovely described tutorial.. the complete idea is just beautiful. cheers !!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Great box and beautiful rose. I love all the pearls too. Thanks for sharing.

    Jani
    papercompulsions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. This is amazing..looks so pleasant and neat

    ReplyDelete
  64. This is really good - I love the detail in the leaves and flower! Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  65. Wow beautiful. I luv this. Like the cute lovely pinkish rose too.

    ReplyDelete
  66. You are the queen of recycling. What a clever idea. Your leaves turned out beautifully, along with the flower. Super work!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Anonymous20/9/11

    I just came across your blog for the first time today! What a great way to recycle and reuse. This box is so very pretty and would make a great gift container. No wrapping! Such a creative idea! Thank you for sharing.

    Kathleen (jbaugh1481@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. Thank You Kathleen
    Thank You dear friends for appreciating this recycled project

    ReplyDelete
  69. Your 'cake' turned out GORGEOUS! Thanks for recycling with us at Pixie Dust Studio!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  70. Beautiful creation and awesome inspiration. Saw your work on MIM :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. This box is so stunning! I absolutely love the flower and leaves! What a fabulous recycled project!! Awesome :)

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  72. Beautiful box, the leaves look fantastic, looking forward to your rose tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous21/9/11

    This is truly stunning!! Totally love.. love how the leaves look... simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  74. wow this is gorgeous. saw it on MIM. thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  75. This looks YUMMY!!!! PLease teach me how to make that rose!!! :( Am in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Stunning box, what a wonderful design!!

    ReplyDelete
  77. wow this is so pretty - and what a great idea
    Thanks for linking up at make it Monday this week
    Lisa x
    ps -Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!

    ReplyDelete
  78. the rose is incredible! An amazing recycle transformation! Thanks for linking it to Eat, Grow, Sew!

    ReplyDelete
  79. OMG...you are so clever!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Wow! This is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Wow, this is GORGEOUS! :o) As are all of your creations... what a stunning blog, bursting with lovely projects. I'm so happy to have found you at Alex's link-up party! Happy to be a new follower. :o)

    Hugs and blessings!
    http://kaleidoscopicsparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  82. That's a fabulous project.
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. A very beautiful project of yours.
    Loved it.
    Your roses are always outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  84. is it being sold somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Shubham for the query. Sorry not being sold I usually gift away my crafts!

      Delete
  85. Wow ! This box looks beautiful loved the rose specially ..You have tried almost everything !!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Wow! Very pretty! The colours, beads every things simply fits. I will try this box for sure! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  87. Wow! This box is really very pretty! The colours, beads, everything simply fits! All your crafts are so full of pretty decorations! Even I have recycling spree on me but, I have to learn blogging. Then I will post some of my creations. Thank you for the blogging tips also.I am going to make this box for sure.I have also made "the folding box" . Now I am trying to make the quilling decorations as shown in your blog. thanks a lot for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  88. hi dr sonia...u inspire me alot....wonderful tutorial. ...and what a pretty out come...clever n crafty...Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...