21.5.11

Edible Craft- How to Make a Castle Cake and Marzipan Roses


Castle Cake
 My daughter is going to be 5 this month and she wanted to celebrate her birthday in her art and craft summer camp at Planet Kids.She wanted a castle cake and the baker refused to make me a 2 kilo castle cake .So to pacify a teary eyed little girl I bravely promised her that her " amma" would make one. I am more of a cookie baker than a cake baker and it was kinda scary as this was a first attempt at a major themed cake and I would not be able to  get one from the bakery if i messed it up! 
We baked it at 6 in the evening . It was an eggless chocolate cake[ recipe from Nita Mehta I often swear that you cant go wrong using her recipes!] We started icing it at 8 [ breaking traditions that say you need a long gap before you ice the cake!]and completed it around midnight.She wanted an all pink one so I had to settle with different shades of pink.My little princess contributed in icing the base and making the butter icing. She wanted to make the marzipan flowers too!
The Edible Roses are made from Marzipan made at home
Marzipan Roses
Marzipan is an useful thing to know how to make as you can use it to make lots of stuff not just flowers and you can use it to decorate all sorts of edible stuff not just cakes.
How to Make Marzipan 
Ingredients
  • Nuts :20-25 Almonds or cashew nuts[ A handful]. Cashew nuts are easier as you can save time . For almonds you need to blanch them and peel off the skin.Powder them in a mixer to get a fine dry powder
  • 2- 3 tablespoon Cornflour
  • 100g icing sugar- sieved to ensure no lumps
  • 1-2 drops vanilla essence
Mix all the ingredients with little water to give a dough consistency.The correct consistency is when you knead it no cracks appear and not too wet and should not stick to your fingers.
Color as required.
Marzipan can stay for even months in the freezer without spoiling
How to make Marzipan Roses
Here is the link to how to make Edible Marzipan Roses
Take a pea sized ball of marzipan knead it well and roll it into a long roll about 4 cm. 
Flatten the roll and make a spiral for the center of the rose. 
Take small balls of marzipan and flatten for petals. Attach the Marzipan petals around the central spiral . Marzipan adheres well if of the correct consistency.
Use green marzipan to make some leaves. I have not made any as my daughter was insistent she wanted a purely Pink Cake!
How to make the Castle Cake
Make a rectangular, circular or square shaped cake
Edible Craft Castle Cake
Place cupcakes on the corners for the towers.
If you have extra cake cut a large square piece of cake for the center. I shaped 4 cupcakes into squares for the central tower 
Give a base coating of icing on the cake. Fondant icing gives a very smooth finish but none of us like the taste at home so we always go for butter icing.
Make doors and windows with wafers 
Invert ice cream cones over the towers for the conical roofs.I have 5 cones as my little one is celebrating her fifth birthday.
Make tiny flags from Aluminium foil wrapped around toothpicks.
Castle Cake
Here is the name card made with 3 D glitter and embellished with a homemade paper rose.Here is the tutorial how to make the Paper Rose
Paper Rose Name Card
I am not a professional at this sort of thing and have not gone to any cake decorating classes.I   just posted this to encourage others to try this sort of stuff at home . Have fun!


40 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT... PLEASE SAVE A PIECE AND SEND IT OVER TO KOLKATA FOR ME.. AND A VERY HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO PRISHA... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Khushboo You are a darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT AN ADORABLE CAKE that is... and your paper rose is superb.

    Love it and like Khush, can I have a small piece as well? Not too big because it will make my waist expand!!! Lol!

    xxx Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting me from the Link Up party and leaving such a sweet comment (actually 2 of them...LOL. They don't appear unless I approve them because I don't want to free the spam out there. Your princess cake is darling. Your roses look VERY PROFESSIONAL. Happy to be a new follower.
    Smilez
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Helen
    Thank You Monica
    Thank you Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday to dear prisha.
    OMG u made this cake! u say that u r not a professional. this is so perfect...thanks u sharing the flower recepie...plz post the tutorial whenever u make such next....u knw i am very scared of baking cakes....i hardly bake and this icing thing is out of question..but aftr seeing this post i think i should try to learn. check what i did to avoid the icing for my son's birthday last yr
    http://mumpaintslives.blogspot.com/search/label/Birthdays
    but this wont work every time.
    i feel that u r a supermum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous21/5/11

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! I have a princess daughter as well. She's 7 and loves everything girly! I absolutely LOVE your cake. It's wonderful. I was showing my husband and my son said "you could make me a cake, except I don't like pink, but you could put some fighting people on it, like a God of War cake!" LOL. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm a new follower!!!!

    Krystal,
    http://www.krystalskreativity.blogspot.com
    kreative.krystal at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a creator u r !mindblowing !pls.mail me ur address pls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Krystal that is so cute. I am glad you liked our cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Romina
    My email is soniasv@rediffmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW! That's a gorgeous cake! :) You're really good at it!
    I could never do that..hehe your martzipan flowers are just gorgeous!
    Thanks for your lovely comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a gorgeous cake!
    Amezing
    Groetjes Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy b'day to prisha!!.
    Awesome creation,n love it lot because it is pink,lol..can u pls send me the full cake,i will keep it in my showcase:)))i dont like using anythng that is very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to give you the super mom award. I hope you will also tell us how you do it all -being a doctor a mom and a crafter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Suganthi. I give my daughter top priority and cut down my medical practice if it interferes in any way with her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Laura
    Thank you Kavitha
    Thank you Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks yummy Yummy! My B'day wishes to your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow ...cake is so beautiful...too good ..Many Happy Returns of the day to ur little angel...she is really a lucky daughter to have a super mum like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi Dr sonia,
    wishing ur daughter a very happy b'day and the cake has turned out so so good,it takes a lot to make a cake by oneself and hats off to u for pulling it in style.u really constantly surprise and inspire me .good luck with the party.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very beatifull. You daughter will be very pleased.

    greetings Karin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to Prisha and love your cake! and your honeycomb pop up card! I will have to lift this technique and when I do, I will let you know! TFS
    ~Gaby
    www.gabycreates.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. wishing Prisha a very happy birthday... It s lovely cake with grt details and most of all made with grt love... It shows... Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Gaby
    Thank You Jovi

    ReplyDelete
  25. YOU ARE REALLY MULTI TALENTED SONIA .
    WHETHER IT IS PAPER OR EDIBLE CAKE YOUR CREATIVITY STANDS THERE .
    GIVE MY HUGS WISHES TO YOUR LITTLE DAUGHTER .CAKE IS FANTASTIC .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belated happy birthday to little princess.Wow I am speechless,for a first timer ur work is really very good.I must say what a multitalented person u r!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! This is so pretty! Love the creative use of the cones and all the little details really help pull the cake together. Love, love, LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is a masterpiece..superb work..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohh god... !! I want to hug u and ur daughter...pls accept a virtual cyber hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank You So much dear friends for stopping and taking the trouble to encourage and appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sonia, this one is so wonderful....haven't worked with marzipan yet, but I believe in near future I'm gonna try your recipe for it....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh yum! This is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful Cake Sonia! As usual you have done an Outstanding job!

    divaof5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so lovely! Love the little flowers!
    Reminds me of the Castle cake I made for my niece. I bought the cake 'slabs'(large flat cakes) and cut it, etc. I also used cones for the turrets. I drip covered them with white chocolate and dusted them with silver dusting pwder...must look for those photos...VBG

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your Cake turned out Beautiful!!!!! I have a 4 year old Grand Daughter and she would Love this on her next Birthday!!! Thanks for Sharing!
    I just became a follower, I just started a blog recently and would Love for you to come visit me. :0)
    cindys-greencricut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful cake!!! I just love the roses!
    My daughter's birthday is in a few months so this gives me a head start on some cute ideas and a theme! Thanks!!!


    Jeni @ Becoming Martha
    http://jensidea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Dr Sonia,

    First of all many thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such encouraging comments :)
    And I must admit that you have one of the most versatile and awesome blogs, there is sooo much to learn from you....you are an inspiration now to me..

    Regards,
    Priyanka

    http://justlovecrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dear Priyanka
    Ha Ha you made my day!! Thank You for the wonderful comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. yummy cake .the very morning my mouth is watering
    megha
    http://www.meghanuj01.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...