26.6.11

Rainforest Tunnel Card and Tutorial


Tunnel card
There are 3 Indian card challenges going on for which I wished to participate  but didn't have the time to make 3 cards. After much pondering created a 3 in one card.
I needed to make
1.A window card with a sentiment for Anita's challenge- Lots of windows in this tunnel card!
2.A card with doodling for the Crafty JC challenge - drawing here is pretty much doodling and I am thrilled to say with a lot of contribution from my daughter .
3.A card inspired by rain for the Indian Craft room Challenge-this is a rain-forest theme card.I had to refresh my memory by researching the fauna and flora of a rain-forest for this card.

Ever since I saw the tunnel book concept I was fascinated. It looks so complicated but is in fact quite easy to make and hence sharing a tutorial.
Tunnel card
The specialty of the tunnel card is that you have to look through the window from different angles to see the full panorama.From each angle you will be able to see something new! we were able to achieve this effect in our card as you can see in the photos taken from different angles.
Tunnel card
How to make the tunnel Card [ also called Peep show]
Here I have used an A 4 sized card folded in half and cut for the front panel of the card.You can use whatever size you want.
Make the accordion spine of your tunnel card or tunnel book
  • Take fairly sturdy card stock with height equal to the height of the front of the card 
  • Score  lines on the card stock as shown.The score lines  should not be too close together as it will be the support for your inner panels. I scored the lines at 2 cm intervals.You can use an embossing tool or a pen which has run out of ink to score the lines.
  • Fan fold or accordion fold the score lines. The number of  folds you need depends on the number of panels and how much space you wish to give between the panels
  • Make 2 similar accordion folded spines 
Tunnel card Tutorial 1
Make the panels of the tunnel card
  • Make as many panels as you wish.I have 5 panels here.
  • You can use card stock which is thinner then the accordion spine if you are not embellishing it heavily.
  • The inner panels should be the same height as the front panel and cut slightly shorter in length than the front panel to help easy flat folding of the tunnel card.

Tunnel card Tutorial 2
You can use photo-editing software, graphics programs or do it hands on like I did to design your panels.
Tunnel card Tutorial 3
Overlap images and lay the panels on top of the lower one to design the position of your images.

Tunnel card Tutorial 4
Avoid heavy embellishments on the inner panels to prevent buckling.

Tunnel card Tutorial 5
Here we have filled in the greenery of the rain forest using sketch pens. I would have like to use paint but since it can buckle the panels of the tunnel card had to avoid. 
Tunnel card Tutorial 6
Shown below are the steps to make the panels- plan your scenery, cut the aperture and complete the scenery after cutting out the aperture.
Tunnel card Panel making steps
Here is my little one helping to embellish as well as draw the scenery.
Tunnel card Tutorial 7
Here is the panel which my daughter[ just turned 5 last month] helped to plan.The red flowers and cherries + the major part of the greenery is her work.She was so proud of her work.
Tunnel card Tutorial 8
As you go to the back of the tunnel card.make the border of the panels progressively wider.This gives the best effect for the tunnel card. Cutting the apertures smaller as you go towards the back panels makes your borders wider.
Tunnel card Tutorial 9
Assemble the tunnel card
Stick the panels of the tunnel card to the spine as shown.
Attach all the panels on one side and then start attaching to  the other spine. Fold the card flat while attaching to the 2nd spine to ensure that your tunnel card will fold flat and not buckle.
Tunnel card Tutorial 10
Tunnel card top view
You can dangle light weight embellishments from the back side of the panels for added effect.
Tunnel card close up
The tunnel card will stand on its own for a stunning display.
I hope you will have fun with this tutorial. You can make a tunnel card of your holiday photos by just cutting out apertures and layering them.You can use it to make a special card or even for a school project.
This is a super fun project for little ones- they can have fun with drawing, painting and using stickers[ mine just loves stickers!!]

60 comments:

  1. This is awesome.. Lovely work.. Great work by you and your daughter.. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creative pretty creation. Thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow u really have put a lot of thought in making this card .love all that doodling that u and your daughter have done,.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, Sonia! It is look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness Sonia, your tunnel card is FABULOUS! You did such a wonderful job with your card creation. TFS! ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  6. soooooooooooooooo cute ........
    its for your daughter.....she in the lill pic looking sooooooooooo cute n sweet.......also the card is cute but not more than ur daughter

    ReplyDelete
  7. that card came out really great. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work...all the hardwork put in shows the beautiful outcome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! I just love your card! How cool is that your daughter is so talented like her mother!! I just love it when kids love to craft! I also love it when an adult will take the time to craft with their child! Great job to you both:) I had to copy this one for quick tutorial reference! Thank you:)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of your card and hope to be able to make one as wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea, and a great card! TFS! :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Какая яркая и сочная открытка! Классно получилось! Спасибо за урок!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful creation! It is great that you were able to share the fun with your daughter. Thanks for the tutorial.

    Kelly
    http://kellyscraftylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is sheer awesomeness... So much efforts you have put it... I have never seen anything like this before...
    You are one dedicated sincere crafter... so is your doughter..

    I will try to make one like this... lovely Sonia...

    Love n wishes...
    Priya
    http://priya-n-papers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dr Sonia your card is awesome! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awsome card, it's great that you and your Daughter worked on it together, what a special time spent!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow..Its awesome...U r really lucky Sonia, a great supporter with u..right..? gve my love to ur sweeety...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous26/6/11

    You continue to amaze me with your creations! With you working also, how do you find time to do such awesome craft?!?! Hats off to you Doc!
    Will def give it a go with my kids. Sure they will love it! And a BIG hug to your little Prisha! She did super! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very clever, and a beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just discovered your blog. I am from America and when I saw your comment on another blog I decided to check out crafting styles in India. I am so glad I did. You have many new things to explore here! I am so amazed at this tunnel card. It totally blows me away. Awesome.

    The doodling is the very best. Your little one is very talented. So glad you showcased her.

    Linda C - turtleinthesand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my god! this is too good! how do you manage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card and so love the vibrancy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can see why your daughter was so proud of her work. What a fantastic, rain forest. This tunnel card looks as if it took a while, as well as the tutorial. Good job, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know when I visit you that I will see an amazing project, but I am still absolutely amazed every single time! WOW, this card is stunning! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this - is so fabulous! I am going to print out your instructions (thank you for providing them) so I can make a tunnel card in the near future! You are amazing! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! :D

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW.....you are amazing at creating cards, I love this idea, its fabulous. Thankyou so much for the tutorial too! I really enjoy visiting and seeing your works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow.....what a great card....so colorful. ! Your daughter is rightly stepping into her mom's shoes.. :) Thanks a lot for sharing the tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing!! You're talented, that's for sure...and your daughter too!! what a way to bond with your child..simply amazing!! hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Wow! This is AMAZING! Thank you so much for providing the tutorial! Your little assistant did a fantastic job too! Mine are sitting here enjoying this card so much that it is now on the top of our summer to do list! They send their hello to their crafty friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is amazing. You certainly are talented. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! This card is just AMAZING and so many layers and details, I love this. And what a detailed tutorial, thank you!

    -rwk
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! This card is just AMAZING and so many layers and details, I love this. And what a detailed tutorial, thank you!

    -rwk
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sonia, you do make the most amazing creations! I love your tutorials, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a lovely card and the instructions on how to product it are wonderfully clear.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This card is amazing! Congrats to you and to your talented little girl! You are a great team! And I imagine how much fun and joy was making this together!
    The chart was a very creative project, too!
    Thanks for sharing your work and for taking the time to make so good tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank You ladies for taking the time to leave me such kind comments. It is so encouraging to read a positive feedback

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for stopping by...loved ur post and the tutorial. Fun-filled, how cool is that to do with your daughter! I also enjoy my daughter's company during some of my lazy afternoon creations:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi dear..thanks for leaving a lovely comment on my blog, i am happy to see your work..your blog is amazing,i love your paper creations..super nice stuff..so i am showing love by following your blog..have funnnn
    Love ~

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very creative, Sonia. You are so talented.
    Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. If you haven't already, check out this post http://allthingzbeautiful.blogspot.com/2011/03/wrap-me-up-pretty.html for some more gift wraps.

    ReplyDelete
  39. WOW! very creative and thank you for taking the time to give us a tutorial!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sonia, this card is super WOW!!! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. It does seem easier than I had thought it would be. You have captured the essence of the rainforest quite well. And your daughter, only 5? Wow, she deserves a CONGRATULATIONS on phenomenal artistry!
    I am so glad you received the package! I love to give and the cost was well worth the surprise you shared in the form of a comment at my blog. Tell the husband, WE ARE CRAZY! LOL! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome and pretty .
    All the best ,Good Luck in the challenge .

    ReplyDelete
  42. Holy, shamoley!!! That's a beautiful card! I'm now a follower of your glorious blog! Thanks for following me too!

    I'm from little ole North Carolina!
    scrapwithraina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Amazing Card Dr. Sonia Love it and thanks for the great how to tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow- I have never seen a tutorial for a card like this before- I love your jungle scene- I would have guessed it would be more difficult! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous29/6/11

    oh my gosh!! thats so pretty.. I've got to share that with my daughter... She'd love to try that out!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am totally speechless here. The card is brilliant - well beyond brilliant. A budding artist at home huh :) Beautiful doesnt say it well enough. And also a BIG BIG THANKS for the tutorial - awfully sweet of you.

    Thanks for playing at CraftyJC Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is so cute. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow! That's so much detailed!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  49. Fabulous card! Thanks for joining us for the CES Challenge!
    Jane
    x

    ReplyDelete
  50. A really beautiful creation and such amazing attention to detail, great that your daughter got involved too, thank you so much for joining in the fun at CES this week :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  51. amazing sonia..simply loved it...wish i cud spare so much time n do such lovely work:)

    ReplyDelete
  52. fab card - saw it on MIM x

    ReplyDelete
  53. Another wonderful card and tutorial too, good luck in the Make It Monday challenge.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow! Your work is fabulous!! I came over from Make it Monday... And I've been wandering around your blog for ages!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Such detailed tutorial .Beautiful project this . Thanks for visiting my blog and the kind words you leave for me .
    Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday .

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wowee Sonia - love your make and tutorial! Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday!

    Mary J x

    ReplyDelete
  57. absolutely adorable ..best of all ...you include kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Как красиво!!!! очень понравились ваши раблты!

    ReplyDelete
  59. its very niceeee.... interesting

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...