27.11.13

Foam Crafts - DIY Dinosaur Mobile

Foam crafts 2
DIY Dino mobile
Dear friends I better issue a warning at the beginning of this post :”Not for the faint hearted!”
My 7 year old daughter is learning about Reptiles and Dinosaurs in particular. Yesterday she came home from school and demanded we make a large diorama with lots of dinosaurs as another child had brought a diorama to school.



Like all moms I do have my “not in a mood to do anything” days…yesterday was one of those days! Eventually I give in seeing her enthusiasm …but alas I didnt have a good sturdy box for a large diorama!
Foam crafts 5
DIY mobile
This was one of those times when being a blogger came in handy!I follow a blog on felt crafts by Carla and she makes the most adorable mobiles…so ambitiously I decided to to make a dinosaur mobile!
We had just 2 hours before my daughters bedtime so it was a super fast project and I dont have step by step photos to share.
I recycled the frame of an old toy clock to make the frame of our handmade dinosaur mobile.
Foam crafts 3
Dinosaur school project
Tied up all  my daughters toy dinosaurs  to the frame . We didnt have time to colour the white ropes so my daughter prettied it up by wrapping sparkly green pipe stem cleaners on all the ropes of the dinosaurs mobile.
Foam crafts 1
Foam crafts
The frame looked ghastly with all the ropes tied on, so we cut up grass freehand from textured foam and glued it onto the mobile frame with the glue gun [I love the glue gun…it  makes school projects such a breeze!].The red roses are also made from foam.
We strung alpha beads on pipe stem cleaners  to write my daughters name and wrapped it on our mobile frame
She also wanted to add her toy snakes on the mobile and eeeek they did look scary all wiggly on our DIY reptile mobile!
Foam crafts 4
Dinosaur school project
My poor husband had to help carry it to school!! It was a big hit in her class and she proudly came and showed me the “sticker” she had got for it !!
I hope this idea comes in handy for a unique school project! Do tell me how you like it
Here are links to more Foam crafts :


40 comments:

  1. Awesome project !! This Mom n Daughter duo can make crafts even with snakes n dinosaurs theme :D !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Thank you so much Pooja..we are rather proud of this one!!

      Delete
  2. interesting project..great idea of hanging snakes n green dinosaur looks real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Radhika...my daughter insisted on the hanging snakes!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderfully reminds me of Jurassic Park movie. Good idea to add the snakes & sparkle on the rope. Daughter is home from college for Thanksgiving holidays so this will be brief.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melissa .So sweet of you to visit despite being busy

      Delete
  4. This is such a fun mobile with all the reptiles. Love how you have used the snakes so creatively.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Desire..yeah I agree it was a lot of fun to make

      Delete
  5. lovely idea, Sonia !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cool. Love this.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blogspot.in
    crazycrafter-craftsuppliesshop.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful!! You and your daughter are very creative!!
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Berina it is so sweet of you to drop in with such encouraging comments

      Delete
  8. What a fun project!! I love how you embellished it with the sparkly pipe cleaners and the foam!! You and your daughter are so clever and creative!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa you are always such a big boost to my morale

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Shirl it was fun making it

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nagela..you are such a sweet blogger pal

      Delete
  11. This is great Sonia, I love the snakes coming down and the dinosaurs.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kevin...yeah the snakes climbing down the ropes makes the whole mobile look scary!!

      Delete
  12. What a fun project. The two of you come up with the best ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. very scary mobile Sonia . Prisha Mol is too good in crafts, Would love to see her soon.
    Adhiraacreations
    Adhiraa@Facebook
    My Shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha the snakes look real Shylaa so it does look scary!! We would love to meet you too.The next time you are in Bangalore come home!

      Delete
  14. How fun! I think you must be enjoying the school projects just as much as your daughter...maybe even more! :)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha you do know me well Susan...I do enjoy making school projects [ha ha most of the times!!]

      Delete
  15. Looks like you two had fun making this one. Not the mobile I would put on a baby's crib, but fun for a 6 year old! lol! NancyD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Nancy I am not too sure I would let my daughter hang it in her bedroom either..the snakes really look alive and scary!!

      Delete
  16. Oh well, it turned out pretty cool! I'm sure my nephews would love it!
    Thanks for joining us at LESSology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha yeah Yvonne it would be a hit with your nephews. My daughter said the boys in her class absolutely went ooh over it!!

      Delete
  17. WOW!!! This is fabulous sonia and sooo much detail Your daughter will be very happy..Loz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Loz...it was a quick project which turned out great!

      Delete
  18. Another great school project for Prisha. You are an outstanding mother for helping her out even when you didn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa she knows how to pull my strings!

      Delete
  19. Dr.Sonia madam

    Namaste. It is indeed very much pleasure to obverse that your child is also interested in preparing those activities like you prepared various cards etc. Sonia madam i hope your daughter is so intelligent and she got your creativity and talent. Sonia madam you are good mom and you are preparing so many knowledgeable projects to your daughter which are helpful to her in school projects.

    Sonia madam convey my best wishes to your little daughter and i hope she is a bright future ahead.

    Sonia madam this is Lamps of India message which i shared in my Heritage of India blog.

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2013/09/lamps-of-india.html

    Sonia madam please look into my Lamps of India message and share your inspirational comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment. Will drop in by your site

      Delete
  20. This is very interesting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So very, very clever...not keen on dinosaurs & especially not snakes! But I do LOOVE how you guys used that green 'grass' foam around the top...great idea...thanks so much for sharing with us at LESSology:):)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really a fun project which we can do with our kids.. Interesting Post..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...